Best of the Week V
1. Most of you don’t know me, but if you did you would know that I am an obsessive Radiohead fan; therefore, I carry that obsession through to the side projects of Radiohead’s bandmates. I especially enjoy stalking Thom’s updates, and this week he put together a mix for XFM Radio that features a new track (by Thom) called “The Twist.” To be honest I’m listening to The Twist as I write this piece and it’s driving me a little insane. Not my favorite trakc by Thom. HOWEVER, the rest of the mix is quite excellent and includes a few remixes of Radiohead’s recent tracks. Take a listen:
2. Changes by Twin Shadow. This is actually the first Twin Shadows song I’ve heard. Gives off a little bit of a dance vibe and would be great to remix. If you’re around Texas this weekend, you could be lucky enough to catch them in concert. Listen to the new track below
3. It’s Around You by AWR. Do you like bubblegum? Do you like bodypaint or weird projections? Then you’ll love this new track. Filled with echoes, howls and gutteral humming, AWR creates a vibe of near-tribal energy with powerful crescendos and catchy refrains.
4. I occasionally have one too many beers , discover I have an electric guitar and a loop pedal, and attempt to make some cool overlapping melodies to record. Unfortunately, that last beer turns “cool overlapping melodies” into some sort of horrifying cacophony. Fortunately, AA Bondy seems to have captured exactly what I tried to accomplish in his intro to Surfer King. The rest is just as strong, and vaguely reminds me of some other familiar track that I can’t quite put my finger on. Surfer King would make a great late night driving song. Listen and download the mp3 at Best New Tracks.
5. Speedy drums and a sharp bass line drive ghostly vocals in Still Corners’ new track “Into the Trees.” Another first time for me as well! I really like it, and I’ll definitely be back for more.
6. BONUS! I feel bad for posting later in the evening this Friday so I’m posting a runners-up to the Top 5: Miss hearing phaser effects over guitar intros? No worries, MGMT is bringing back the laser-sound rage with “All We Wanted Was Everything.” Like most MGMT tracks, it’s taken me a couple of listens to warm up to, but I’m starting to really dig it. Oh, and you can download the mp3 by the way.